Criticism of UK government’s job support scheme grows; Europe records 100,000 daily cases for first time; Canada at ‘tipping point’. Follow latest updates
- North of Engand leaders not consulted on local lockdowns
- Make masks compulsory in UK workplaces, say doctors
- Spain declares emergency in Madrid as Berlin emerges as hotspot
- UK workers to get two-thirds of wages if firms told to shut
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Iran made mask-wearing mandatory in public in Tehran on Saturday with violations punishable by fines, president Hassan Rouhani said, as a third wave of coronavirus infections sweeps across the country.
The daily death toll from Covid-19 peaked at 239 this week in Iran, the worst-hit country in the Middle East.
The number of new coronavirus infections in France jumped over 26,000 in one day for the first time since the start of the pandemic, health ministry data showed on Saturday.
The ministry reported 26,896 new infections, taking the cumulative total to 718,873 since the start of the year.