- ‘It’s getting worse by the day’: India’s Covid battle rages on
- Why Covid may have already peaked in many African countries
- Sweden spared European surge as infections stay low
- ‘I up-played it’: Trump disputes own admission on pandemic
- US coronavirus updates – live
Latin America has started to resume normal social and public life at a time when the Covid-19 pandemic still requires major control interventions, World Health Organization regional director Carissa Etienne said on Wednesday.
Coronavirus cases in Colombia’s border area with Venezuela have increased ten-fold in the last two weeks, Etienne said in a virtual briefing from Washington with other Pan American Health Organization directors.
Although the entire world is racing to develop new tools to prevent and cure Covid-19, a safe and effective vaccine that can be manufactured and delivered at scale is not around the corner.
We must be clear that opening up too early gives this virus more room to spread and puts our populations at greater risk. Look no further than Europe.