Trump hails start of immunisation programme; UK coronavirus hospitalisations increase; WHO warns number of deaths surging
- How Covid revealed the truth about our world
- FDA chief urged by White House to approve Pfizer vaccine ‘or quit’
- Scientists warn against Christmas gatherings in UK
- California’s ICU beds near capacity as hospitalizations hit record
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Markus Soeder, the premier of Bavaria, told Germany’s Bild newspaper that the country’s new measures would be wide-ranging, including schools, kindergartens, contacts and shops.
“We definitely have to take the necessary measures before mid-week,” he said.
Germany will close shops from the middle of next week in a tightening of coronavirus lockdown restrictions, people familiar with the matter said on Saturday.
The decision came ahead of a meeting planned for Sunday between German chancellor Angela Merkel and state leaders.