- UK records 671 deaths and 38,598 cases
- Italy reports a 12,415 cases and 377 deaths
- India begins world’s biggest Covid vaccination program
- Australian Open sees fourth case as player warned for quarantine breach
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Ghana’s Covid-19 infection rates are skyrocketing and include strains of the virus not previously seen in the country, threatening to overwhelm the health system, President Nana Akufo-Addo said on Sunday.
Since 5 January, the number of active cases has risen to 1,924 from about 900, Akufo-Addo said in a speech. There are now 120 severe cases, up from 18 a week ago.
Schools in Malawi will be shut for at least 15 days while bars have been given an 8pm closing time under new coronavirus restrictions announced by President Lazarus Chakwera in a television address on Sunday.
After reporting no positive cases for almost two months, the country has seen a sudden resurgence in coronavirus cases since the middle of last month.