Boris Johnson says national lockdown now ‘would do immediate harm’ as he sets out England’s new three-tier lockdown restrictions
- Full report: Johnson unveils three-tier Covid restrictions for England
- Explained: what does three-tier Covid lockdown system mean?
- List: which areas of England are in which alert level
- ‘Another killer blow’: Liverpool’s hospitality industry despairs
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Boris Johnson warned northern leaders that a failure to agree tougher coronavirus restrictions within days would be “unforgivable” as he faced doubt and frustration over a new system designed to prevent the “inexorable” spread of Covid-19.
But Prof Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, warned that even the toughest curbs would probably not contain the spread of the virus in the worst-hit areas and said local authorities would need to add extra restrictions. “The base will not be sufficient. I think that’s very clearly the professional view,” he said.
Here at the key points from the press conference on the new three-tier Covid alert system for England.